Welcome, Guest.
It's March 30, 2017, 10:31pm.
Please login or register.
Home Page Prestwick Airport
SeSco    Wiki Discussions    Discussion Forum  ›  Prestwick Airport Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Prestwick Airport  This thread currently has 3722 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Admin
May 23, 2014, 10:52am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Just collecting the main media links for the story:
Quoted Text
The Scottish Airshow is to take to the skies above Ayrshire again, after a 22-year absence.

The two-day event will be staged at the Low Green in Ayr, and at Prestwick airport on 6 and 7 September.

The show features World War II aircraft the Lancaster, Hurricane and Spitfire. Other highlights include the Vulcan bomber, the Blades aerobatic team, and helicopter and parachute displays.

The Saturday airshow on the Low Green will be free.

Admission will be charged to the static display at Prestwick.

In its heyday in the 1980s, the Scottish air show show attracted up to 100,000 spectators to Prestwick.

Scottish Airshow set to fly high again after 22-year wait

Scottish Airshow to return in September after 22-year absence | Glasgow & West | News

Revival of Ayrshire air show confirmed - The Scotsman
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail
jimbo
July 7, 2014, 12:42pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Illusion
More bad news for Prestwick - Ryanair are to transfer some services to Glasgow.

Ryanair to begin flying from Glasgow

Although this report mentions that passenger travel accounts for around half of the airport's revenue, when you're losing millions a year every penny counts.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 8
Admin
July 7, 2014, 2:48pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Is it really bad news?

As far as I can recall, Prestwick Airport has been lamenting its end for something like 40 yeas or more.

Yet others keep praising its success.

I've stopped listening to either camp.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 8
Admin
July 7, 2014, 3:07pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I'm thinking they should probably go and look at Frankfurt for some ideas, and they could attract more business at Prestwick by copying some of the ideas they've had there

Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 8
Admin
July 9, 2014, 12:28am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Lots of waffling about Prestwick Airport, plus some comments which surprisingly seem to suggest my recollection of some folk praising the place while other like to slate it are not that far off.

Unfortunately, since there is such a degree of politically motivated content in those views, it's hard to say which camp is seated in reality.

Brian Monteith: Stop throwing money at Prestwick - The Scotsman

Doesn't matter to me either way, but from a distance, it looks very much as if the place could benefit from a major shake-up - and dumping most, if not all, of the loss-making or problematic services that are based there, and concentrating on what it is good at.

I always find it hard to believe that whenever Prestwick is criticised, glowing mention seems to be made of Glasgow as a passenger airport.

I don't know what it's like now, as it's some years since I had to deal with clients arriving and departing from Glasgow, but it was one of the most excruciating 'taxi' trips I had to make.

Getting from the east end of Glasgow to/from the airport in the morning or evening involved sitting for ages in the M8 traffic jam around the city centre and the Kingston Bridge, and you cannot even go around it by taking to the non-motorway roads.

Then the airport was little better, with the need to dump the car and have a long walk back to the terminal to find people (and often find gates changed, making them harder to find if they were strangers) wasting more time.

I doubt the 40-minute journey to Prestwick (if they could have used it) would have made little overall difference to the time taken to meet them, and have been less hassle.

At least I got the favour back when they had to pick me up from Heathrow - it may have been my imagination, but it seemed they had less hassle doing their 'taxi' service for me!
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 4 - 8
WANLOCK
July 9, 2014, 12:46am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Enigma
I agree with your comments on Glasgow Airport.

IN 6 hours time start the journey back home via Shanghai and Amsterdam, both excellent airports.

However after 30 plus hours on the road, you wish a user friendly airport upon arrival, not so, and journey home via M8, and I arrive at 8am, not looking forward to, even though I will be a very passive passenger.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Skype Skype Reply: 5 - 8
WANLOCK
July 9, 2014, 4:13am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Enigma
Joys of flying, online DM, sets out that all electronic devices must be fully charged or they are not allowed on the flight, and if you wish to reunited with your cell phone, or any device,  you have the privilege of paying for its return.

Oh HAPPY DAYS.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Skype Skype Reply: 6 - 8
Admin
July 15, 2014, 11:41pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
While I wouldn't be so unkind to call Prestwick's MP ever so slightly 'delusional', I might raise an eyebrow at their suitability for the job after they compare Prestwick to Florida - and suggest they are the same when it comes to operating as a space port.

Still, maybe that's their job
Quoted Text
South Scotland MSP Chic Brodie said that the ambition must be shown to save Prestwick and claimed that he has already asked about the possibility of space flights from the airport.

He said: “Some months ago I tried to engage with Virgin Galactica and its owner Richard Branson when it was suggested it might be looking for alternatives to its current space arrangements to little success.

“Prestwick has the right weather conditions, the right size of accommodating runways, an unsurpassed national air traffic controllership and a great university,college and aero-engineering heartland to be a centre for space flights. If the conditions are right for NASA in Florida then it is good enough for Prestwick. Time to raise our sights.

“So on the assumption the UK Government are not deploying this issue just as part of the current political debate, I believe Prestwick should be a player in the consideration of all long haul global direct flights and space is certainly long haul!”

Prestwick could be space centre | Ayr | News | Ayr Advertiser

On the other hand...

He went and wasted it all by making up the word 'controllership'

Actually, the really interesting part of the story was all but glossed over, the visit of NASA's WB-57F which apparently flew into Prestwick last week.

Unfortunately, that gem was only relayed as the caption under a pic of this aircraft, and was not even mentioned in the main body of the text.

NASA's Johnson Space Center (JSC) operates the only two WB-57's still flying in the world today, NASA 926 and NASA 928, from Ellington Field, Houston, Texas. NASA 925 operated until 1982, when it was retired and went to the Pima Air Museum in Tucson, Arizona.

Remarkably, this aircraft dates all the way back to 1944, being developed from the English Electric Canberra.

Unfortunately, their NASA home page gives no indication as to their current deployment or mission, and was last updated with mission data in 2012.

What do these aircraft do?

Atmospheric and earth science, ground mapping, cosmic dust collection, rocket launch support, and test bed operations for future airborne or spaceborne systems.

Pics here (but no story), and ref to Canberra and the wing:

WB-57 at Prestwick 11/07/2014

Briefly, the original Canberra wings failed and had to be replaced, but this was going to be too expensive, so only a few were replaced, the Canberra's were, and the rejuvenated 57s lived on with their new wings.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 7 - 8
Admin
December 15, 2016, 2:51am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
The plot thickens...

It may have seem like fantasy a couple of years ago (mainly because the talk of spaceports had been at other locations), and one could point at the other bases or airports that had been proposed - I think all the major ones of the past few years were in the mix - but the news now seem to be that Prestwick is gaining favour in a big way:
Quoted Text
Prestwick Airport hopes to eventually launch space flights for passengers under a development deal to be signed today.

The Ayrshire base will complete a partnership agreement with Houston spaceport to help it become the first in the UK.

The tie-up will give Prestwick access to expertise and training from the Texas site and the US space agency Nasa.

The spaceport project is seen by the airport as crucial to its viability after attracting few extra flights since being bought by the Scottish Government for £1 three years ago to avert closure.

It has also had to be propped by state loans which are expected to reach £40 million over the next five years.

In May, the UK Government scrapped plans for a contest for the first spaceport in favour of licensing a site which met the necessary requirements.

The former RAF air base at Machrihanish on Kintyre and Stornoway were among Prestwick’s shortlisted competitors.

New Prestwick spaceport deal paves way for passenger liftoff - The Scotsman

TWO articles!
Quoted Text
Space flights could start from Prestwick Airport in three years' time, its spaceport development director predicted today.

Richard Jenner said he hoped the Ayrshire base would become the UK's first spaceport as he signed a deal with a spaceport which has been approved for launch at Houston in Texas.

He said medical experiments and zero-gravity flights could be the first operations, followed by aircraft taking satellites and other equipment into space from 2020.

Prestwick hopes these could eventually be followed by passenger flights.

The airport reckons it is in pole position to be granted a spaceport licence by the UK Government once new legislation is introduced in the New Year and passed early in 2018.

Business development director Mike Stewart said: "This is going to happen somewhere in the UK and we are not going to let it happen anywhere but Prestwick."

Ministers scrapped a contest to chose the first UK spaceport in May, when Prestwick's short-listed competition included the former RAF air base at Machrihanish in Kintyre and Stornoway.

Prestwick also plans a visitor centre and other attractions, such as a rocket simulator, which could be opened before the first flights, to create a "space experience".

However, it stressed that its space launches would be restricted to horizontal take-off aircraft, rather than rockets, which would require a remoter site, such as Stornoway.

First Prestwick space flights predicted for 2019 - The Scotsman
While the articles are quite upbeat, and have even become practical, it's sad to see that once again the IQ0 brigade who only seek to make political points and rubbish anything and everything that they can, in order to attack one lot or another, have hijacked yet another story that it would have been nice to see some sensible debate on, instead of yet more political opportunism.

I think it time for Scottish media to shut down ALL its comment areas, as they do nothing to endear Scotland to the rest of the world, and I can only only hope anyone unwise enough to look there realised that the political loonies who now seem to live their lives there are (hopefully) not representative of most normal people.

Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Wiki Discussions    Discussion Forum  ›  Prestwick Airport

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread