Welcome, Guest.
It's March 24, 2017, 10:17am.
Please login or register.
Home Page Pure Scottish wild cats
SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Pure Scottish wild cats Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
Yahoo! Bot and 4 Guests

Pure Scottish wild cats  This thread currently has 3574 views. Print Print Thread
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
FordPerfect
September 24, 2013, 10:00am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail
Admin
September 24, 2013, 10:20am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Afraid not

This has become dire over the past few years, with progress going backwards rather than forward.

This is one we follow in the Blog (you'll see a big link, and news of a change in the organisation/trust set up to look at this), and the number (if we consider only the pure bred type) has fallen drastically as more accurate studies have been made.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 47
cell
September 24, 2013, 10:34am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Illusion
Bit of a waste of time and effort trying to prevent the inevitable, unless you are going to neuter all male cats or prevent them going outside (both would be good but unfortunately not possible!) then you have to accept that they will interbreed and the “pure” wild cat will disappear.  I’m not a great fan of trying to keep breeds “pure” it’s an artificial concept and not one that occurs in nature unless physical isolation occurs which could always be argued as only being temporary anyway.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 47
Admin
September 24, 2013, 10:50am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Are you seriously stating it is a waste of time to try and avoid deliberately making a species (any species) extinct, just for the pleasure of humans?

So, let me get this straight in my head.

You think it's ok for man to take a species of wild animal, selectively breed it until it has been engineered to suit his needs, then allow those - how can we describe them, perhaps 'unnatural' and genetically engineered mutants - back into the wild to destroy the species they were created from.

When we do that with humans and call it Eugenics (and some other more emotive names I'll avoid here), some people see the problem instantly, and get upset.

And why, might I ask, are you only neutering male cats!!!

Is this a feminist ploy, don't the ladies have a part to play?
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 47
jmb
September 24, 2013, 11:07am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
It should be possible to keep some pure stock of the breed on islands like the one mentioned as I doubt whether there are any feral cats there.  They can then go on to creating colonies on other islands as well as trying to re-introduce into mainland areas.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 4 - 47
FordPerfect
September 24, 2013, 11:29am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
There are charities who trap , neuter , re-home , the ones not socialized for domestic homes are set up on farms and monitored , vet visits etc.

With DNA testing - they could keep a PURE breeding programme going - best on island(s)    
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 5 - 47
cell
September 24, 2013, 12:32pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Illusion
I think you’ll find maintaining purity of race is a central plank of certain distasteful 20th century ideological movements, you wouldn’t advocate putting eskimos on an island and refusing to let them bred with anyone who was not an eskimo, so why do it with cats?  

No one said anything about deliberately doing it for pleasure, just let it continue to happen, there are bigger and more important things we could be spending our time and money on. I don’t think it was top of the ancient Egyptians to do list ie bred domestic cats to wipe out unheard of small northern country native cat population, if you seriously think what is happening to our native wild cat is some form of eugenics, then there is not much point in debating any further.  

Maybe we should eliminate the “man made” version or adopt a grey squirrel approach and declare open season on domestic cats in certain areas, help nature recover, they are welcome to start in my garden!

Still not sure what the point is in having a colony of wild cats on some island, with a gene pool of 30, are they are all going to end up with five legs and one eye?
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 6 - 47
FordPerfect
September 24, 2013, 12:38pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
The European wildcat (Felis silvestris silvestris)  ,    it is not a "Scottish Wild Cat" as such is it  ?     BUT - if I did not use the word Scottish then I could not post the DM link here - so again blame the Daily Wail  

Probably it would be a good idea to introduce new blood from the mainland (fatherland) genetic pool ,    sorry mustn't talk of blood - you may think that I am a Nazi cat enthusiast  
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 7 - 47
cell
September 24, 2013, 1:39pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Illusion
We could let them in if they provided their genetic European passports which showed them to be part of the master race. Nazi cats, that explains a lot, I always thought cats were are an arrogant lot, always looking invade and c**p in someone else’s backyard.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 8 - 47
FordPerfect
September 24, 2013, 2:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
IMHO  -  this can only be determined by a motion in the Scottish Assembly  ,  nappies for girls privates  .  After THE vote - it may require a southern border fence

addl.

The spell / obsenity checker has changed a word to  "girls privates"  ,  the original word starts with a P and ends with a S & has  SS in the middle  
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 9 - 47
FordPerfect
September 25, 2013, 6:00am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 10 - 47
FordPerfect
October 21, 2013, 9:37pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 11 - 47
Admin
February 6, 2015, 6:03pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 12 - 47
Admin
February 6, 2015, 6:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Owner (of pic, not cat) says it's a Scottish wildcat - sure looks mean enough to be, but I don't think the markings are distinct enough for the claim to be true. Certainly those I've seen in the flesh, er, fur, are much more clearly marked than this:

Mood looks better when the kit is nearby *European example )

Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 13 - 47
Admin
April 2, 2015, 8:18pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
The wildcat is DOOMED!

While the species goes extinct...

Committees and animal welfare groups claiming to have the animal's best interest will argue while the wildcat dies out.

But the groups will get to lobby for their agendas and publicity, so the important stuff will get done
Quoted Text
Conservation groups have defended a proposed Scottish wildcat captive breeding programme.

It came after an animal welfare charity claimed trapping wildcats to breed them in zoos harmed the species' chances of survival.

Captive breeding forms part of the Scottish Wildcat Conservation Action Plan unveiled in September 2013.

Scottish Natural Heritage and the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland said it was necessary to conserve the cats.

They are among 30 organisations backing the action plan.

The Captive Animals' Protection Society (Caps) has criticised the captive breeding plan, and instead supports the use of the the Wildcat Haven, a 500 square mile area that covers parts of the Ardnamurchan and Morvern peninsulas.

Scottish wildcat captive breeding plan defended - BBC News
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 14 - 47
FordPerfect
May 7, 2015, 4:58pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 15 - 47
FordPerfect
March 10, 2016, 11:46am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 16 - 47
Admin
March 13, 2016, 10:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Wild cat in this article looks a bit wilder

Neutering programme makes 800 square miles safe for wildcats

Funny enough, I caught a gallery of wild cat pics someone had taken up north, and seriously, bar the big fat black-ringed and tipped tail, they did not look like anything other than tabbies.

Dangerous

Maybe they would have been more obvious in the flesh, or should that be fur.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 17 - 47
FordPerfect
March 13, 2016, 11:24pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
I watched a good prog. on TV abt 2/3 weeks ago explaining on a % basis how the feral mix / true wild cat is delineated     Reminded me when my sister bred good Siamese show winning cats ,  the points  ,  problem was bred in defects like a kinked tail cat  (that was our first kitten)  , instead of being vertical in "social" mode , it curved back over his spine  ,  apart from that his dad was a farm moggy    
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 18 - 47
FordPerfect
April 13, 2016, 1:25pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 19 - 47
Admin
April 13, 2016, 5:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
And this is news BECAUSE?

I can't recall if I actually did it, or was diverted at the time, but I did consider mentioning the foolish attitude which developed between the two groups at the forefront of this work was nothing but destructive, some moths back (the news articles are either in here already, or maybe the blog) and the only result would be one loser:

THE SCOTTISH WILD CAT!

It's less like scientists debating, and more like a cheap TV drama, or film, where the director has ordered the writers to "Make it interesting, introduce some conflict!!!".

If they had brains, they'd be dangerous...

OH!!!

Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 20 - 47
Admin
April 16, 2016, 10:00am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Well, look at that...

I DID predict this, way back in November 2015:

The future of the Scottish wildcat looks rather gloomy « Secret Scotland
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 21 - 47
Admin
May 6, 2016, 2:38pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Well, it's going to happen...

Hopefully not too many times before the two warring factions that should be getting on with the rescue program realise that there is no time for their childish infighting over the way to do things

Rare Scottish wildcat dies at Highland Wildlife Park
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 22 - 47
Admin
May 7, 2016, 9:03pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
While we might be prepared to let infighting lead to the demise of the Scottish wild cat...

At least we seem to be able to organise funding and protection for 'foreigners' (which I say with no detriment to them, just as a description).
Quoted Text
A project aimed at improving the conservation status of one of the world's rarest and least known wild cats has secured key funding.

The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland (RZSS) is working with the Snow Leopard Trust and Sweden's Nordens Ark Zoo on the Pallas's cat initiative.

Pallas's cats are found in decreasing numbers in Iran, Mongolia and China.

The groups had thought the chances of securing £100,000 funding were slight because the animals are not well-known.

However, the Segre Foundation, which supports nature projects, has awarded the grant.

Funding for Scottish-backed rare cat conservation effort - BBC News

I'll keep on saying it...

Somebody needs to get those two opposing factions in a room and bang their heads together until they reach a consensus, and act.

Otherwise our wild cats will all die waiting for them to help.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 23 - 47
Admin
July 2, 2016, 8:37am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Oh dear...

First we had Grumpy Cat.

Now it seems we have Grumpy Wild Cat
Quoted Text
A Scottish wildcat got itself trapped in a cage set by a farmer to catch foxes.

The cat was released unharmed by a member of Scottish Wildcat Action (SWA), a project set up in an effort to better protect the rare animals.

The wildcat was caught in Clashindarroch Forest in Strathbogie, an area around Huntly.

SWA project officer Emma Rawling said the "beautiful cat" was sitting "grumpily" in the trap.

An examination of markings on the cat's fur identified it as being a wildcat and not a feral domestic cat.

Ms Rawling said the cat was released as quickly as possible to avoid causing it stress.

She said: "I have never seen a cat move so fast and cover so much ground in a single jump.

"Within seconds it disappeared into the surrounding forest where it lives."

'Grumpy' wildcat caught in fox trap cage near Huntly - BBC News

Well, from that description, it would seem 'East End Cat' is breeding with wild cats (or vice vesa) - given how fast our wandering cats disappear when seen

Like I say, it's that, or they've mastered teleportation.

Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 24 - 47
Admin
July 14, 2016, 8:45pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Some great pics of the new arrivals.

Four in two litters.

Hopefully not the last:

Wildcat kittens take first steps at Highland Wildlife Park - The Scotsman
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 25 - 47
FordPerfect
July 15, 2016, 9:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Wildcat kitten born at Chester Zoo - BBC News

Footage is more "rare and elusive" -  extinct    
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 26 - 47
Admin
July 15, 2016, 10:00pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Wonder what the cameraman did?

'Mum' looks as if she want to murder him.

Or maybe just looks like a tasty snack for junior
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 27 - 47
FordPerfect
July 16, 2016, 9:22am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
I don't know about rings on her tail or tip or other expert opinion attributes , but yes -  mother cat face when she spots what is probably a zoom lens says it all       I think I would rather bump in to a Puma on a dark night    
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 28 - 47
Admin
August 8, 2016, 1:25pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Seek and ye shall find, but...
Quoted Text
They were discovered by studying more than 200,000 images from camera traps.

Scottish Wildcat Action set up 347 of the cameras in five areas in the Highlands, Aberdeenshire, Moray and the Angus Glens, to record data over a 60-day period.

A mere 19 after that lot suggest really shy...

Or not many out there at all.

Hidden camera study finds 19 wildcats across Scotland - BBC News
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 29 - 47
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Pure Scottish wild cats

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread