Welcome, Guest.
It's March 24, 2017, 10:17am.
Please login or register.
Home Page Scotland's Secret Bunker
SeSco    Wiki Discussions    Discussion Forum  ›  Scotland's Secret Bunker Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 6 Guests

Scotland's Secret Bunker   This thread currently has 3324 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Apollo
September 28, 2008, 12:07am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Forewarned is Forearmed
Secret
While the bunker at Troywood, near Anstruther, and its official history are now reasonably well documented, I was wondering if anyone had any memories or cuttings regarding the origins of the museum now based there, and its beginnings somewhere back in the 1990s, probably 1994.

My question relates not to the museum and its contents, but to its original founder.

I've had a few hunts around the web in the past, but have never been able to come up with any stories that confirm my recollections, or refer to the beginnings of the museum or any events which may have taken place at the time.

As I recall, the museum was started by an individual who passed himself off as someone of importance in some way - whether this was through family and title, or by something like qualifications and military career or similar, I can't recall, but those descriptions should be enough to give you an idea of what I have in mind.

Using these credentials, he was able to raise funds and obtain enough money and support to finance the restoration of the bunker, sourcing the lost equipment, and then the setting up of the museum itself so that it could be opened to the public.

I don't recall any accusations of fraud, that is to say that the money obtained for the project was pocketed instead of used to finance the venture, but it was obtained by misrepresentation, and the chap was not who he claimed to be and did not have any of the background he claimed, and had used to secure the money.

The conclusion to this chapter, I think, was his eventual disappearance (whether with or without any remaining finds I have no idea, so make no hint either way) although I'm sure he was interviewed both on television and by the papers - denying any wrongdoing.

This was followed by announcements that the museum was in danger of being lost, with no owner.

What happened thereafter I don't know. As I recall it dropped out of the news and I assumed it had gone, and was lost as a result of the tale I've tried to recall above, but after a few years, it resurfaced - and on this occasion, I endeavoured to get over there fast, and see it before it disappeared again - which I'm glad to say it hasn't.

So, I'm on the scrounge for anyone that has any memories of the place, at a time I would guess dates back to the early 1990s or thereafter, and relate in any way to the scraps that have stuck in my mind, as related above, and currently lack any corroboration.
E-mail E-mail
Admin
February 26, 2014, 10:05pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I don't recall seeing any advance notice of the refurbishment mentioned in this news report from the Secret Bunker, but from memory, it should be looking better than it was.

That's not intended as a negative remark, but a reflection on the condition of much of the recovered material and displays when I first had the opportunity to visit, and everything was very much in 'as found' condition.

Now I'll have to work out how to get back for another look

'Secret' war bunker in Fife to reopen after massive refurbishment | Dundee & Tayside | News | STV

In a way, I'm a little surprised to see they had time for this at the moment, considering they took on the massive Edinburgh bunker not too long ago, and are surveying it in preparation for refurbishing it as another Cold War museum - and it's in some state after years of neglect and attack from vandals.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 6
FordPerfect
March 5, 2014, 4:49pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 6
Admin
March 5, 2014, 5:42pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
We wuz robbed...

A measly 2 pics in the 'gallery':

In pictures: Scotland's secret bunker - The Scotsman
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 6
FordPerfect
April 1, 2015, 5:39pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 4 - 6
Admin
April 1, 2015, 6:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
That would have been a fun story, but for being tainted by the publicity whoring of Derek Acorah.

This was my choice of the day - preferably with Acorah being 'volunteered' to go down and check the cores

It's the FALKLANDS SYNDROME! Fukushima MELTDOWN to cause '10,000 Chernobyls' in South Atlantic • The Register
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 5 - 6
Admin
March 18, 2017, 1:19am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Nothing need be said

Scotland's Secret Bunker Cat
by Tom Parnell, on Flickr

Well, other than to note this 'attraction' was not part of the furniture when I visited long long ago
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Wiki Discussions    Discussion Forum  ›  Scotland's Secret Bunker

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread